Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Most Recent Update

There is a bit of confusion on the numbering of these updates but I can't seem to figure out how to put them in order (see below) because I didn't post them in the right order!! Oh Well...

Now, on a more serious note. Right before Christmas I learned that I had some indications of possible uterine cancer. I went to Riga for more tests the first week in January to have a polyp removed and the tests came back indicating that it was cancerous. I immediately (three days later) flew back to Corvallis where I was able to see a doctor the next day. He read the report from my Latvian doctor and has read the results of an MRI which I had last week. Things seem to be in the early stages and so I have surgery scheduled for February 19. Since there doesn't seem to be any spreading beyond the uterus the doctor will do a laparoscopic surgery.

How am I doing? Well, I FEEL fine - no pain or anything like that. I am glad that this is in the early stages and may not need radiation after the hysterectomy. BUT, no one ever wants to hear the word "cancer" and it is still a bit scary though the chances of a good outcome are quite positive. Please pray for peace in my heart. I know the Lord is in control.

One difficulty about coming home is that I don't have insurance. I am working with the hospital about the costs since there may be some funds available for those with special needs. One way to cut some costs is to keep from spending the night in the hospital. I don't know if that will be possible but I have several good nurse friends who are willing to take care of me during the first weeks of recovery.

I can't begin to tell you how loved I feel and blessed to experience the outpouring of love and care for me. How grateful I am!!