Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Update #2 - Christmas


Wow, I am so very far behind in keeping this blog up to date (sounds like sometime I said not too long ago :) .

The Christmas season was so good this year. I remember feeling really under the weather last year and couln't even go for Christmas Dinner to some friends' house. But this year I was feeling fine.

We had a special Christmas event for each of our groups of boarding school kids. It was fun and a nice way to start the holiday before they left school for the break. For the younger kids I was supposed to read the Christmas story (in Latvian, of course) and it was rather slow going. Two of the kids decided to help me by coming up and finishing the story!! We knew that it might be hard for the understand my pronounciation so had planned to ask a few questions to see if they understood. One question was: "What did the Angel say to the shepherds? One little boy said the Angel shouted "God bless Latvia!" So much for the 'well-known Christmas story'.


We had a wonderful Christmas eve dinner event with the team and others from the community which ended with another reading of the Christmas Story from the Bible. This time Kaspars, our pastor, did the reading. Christmas morning I went to be with the Roth family. There was lots of excitment with three little ones opening presents, playing games, and eating a delicious meal. We also celebrated my birthday which is the 26th