Monday, May 18, 2009

Singing at the Pensionat

Shortly after I returned to Tilza, our team and some of the kids from the Internat Skola(boarding school) went to the Balvi Pensioners' Home where we sang, prayed, and gave a Bible message. As is usual for me, I tried to speak with some of the folks there and did get some information about them. But I couldn't understand one lady and I thought her friend said she only spoke Russian so I called Dan over and asked him to talk with her. It turns out that she didn't speak Russian but was using Latgalian (a Latvian dialect) instead!!
In the top picture is Pastor Mihaels and his wife Vonda from the Balvi Baptist Church singing a song in Russian. The middle picture shows our team preparing to sing Blessed Assurance in Latvian, Russian, and English!! Below are some of the residents at the Pensionat.