Thursday, January 11, 2007

From Latvia!

January 11, 2007

I made it to Riga on a fairly short flight (hour and a half) from Dusseldorf, Germany on Monday (Jan 8). After getting my bags I took a taxi to the Partners Office where I was greeted by Vineta, Lienite, Estere, and Maris. They took me to lunch (at an Italian place) and we spent the rest of the afternoon catching up and talking about details of my plans to live here. Without the Partners Office none of this would be possible. I am very grateful that they have been so kind and helpful.

Since then Vineta and Lienite are working on the process of getting a Permanent Resident Permit for me. It is somewhat complicated but we are also receiving lots of help from the Baptist Union. I walked to that office yesterday and got lost by several blocks – turned the wrong way (and was going to say that I am none worse for wear but that’s not the truth). I never walked anywhere in Corvallis, now we go most places by walking and even if we take a bus we have to walk “just a little ways” to get there. That means lots further than I’m used to and my feet are telling me that they want a rest. I know it’s good for me so I keep going – even if it’s a lot slower than everyone else would go.

Partners office staff L-R Vineta, Lienite, Estere



Most of the nights I am staying in the Partners office – equipped with beds, shower, kitchen, and all things necessary. Stayed last night, however, with Kristine Andrupe who is living in Riga and finishing her dental school training. She will graduate this June and plans to stay in Riga. She is from Tilza and we have known each other since I started coming here in 1999.

I will be going out to Tilza on Saturday. Pastor Kaspars is making a trip to Riga for some church business and will pick me up. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Please continue to pray for my ability to learn Latvian. I have begun to try as I go out each day but not everything has come back that I thought I knew before.

Paula

P.S. There are lots of contrasts on the streets of Riga. I walked along the street close to where I’m staying and found these sights.