Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Finding Language Helpers

July 5th
























Here are some of the children helping me to learn Latvian. These pictures were taken inside the school because when we met outside it began to rain. The door was open so we just went inside.

We are really having fun with recording vocabulary and sentences, which I then can put on my computer for further study and practice. Another way people are helping me is that as I go through town, I ask people to help me by reading something in Latvian from a small book which is also translated into English.

As much as possible I try to use what I know here at home. Everyone here speaks English, though, more than I speak Latvian so it's easy to stop trying. One good thing is that all the other native English speakers are gone for the summer.





Here is a picture of my friend, Kristine, and her mom outside their house in Tilza. Her mother loves flowers and has lots of roses in her yard.